Friday, May 30, 2014

A Brief Interlude

On Wednesday David and I drove to Emerald Isle to help his mother fix some plumbing issues at her beach house.  After getting the broken pipes repaired, we went out to a new restaurant.

Jackie's American Grille is located just on the island side of the Langston Bridge (no relation).  We're always looking for good food at the beach, instead of the typical fried seafood platter or burger.  We learned about Jackie's at the Beaufort Wine and Food Weekend where she was serving samples of her delicious Prawn and Avocado Ceviche.  It was so delicious that I was determined to get there to try more of the menu.

We were seated at a nice table outdoors, and we each ordered a Lemon Jack Martini, Jackie's version of a Lemon Drop.  It was pretty good, although not as good as what David makes here at home.  Fresh lemon juice makes such a big difference, and I've yet to find a restaurant or bar that uses that.  Most use the lemon-flavored vodkas, and it's just not the same.  Still, the cocktail hit the spot, especially after dealing with broken pipes all afternoon.

David decided on a Cajun pasta dish, and I chose the Filet Oscar.  My plan had been to try one of their seafood dishes, but the steak caught my fancy, perhaps after all the chicken and fish that I had eaten over the past two weeks. My filet was cooked exactly as I asked, on the rare side of medium-rare, and was served in a large shallow bowl over a layer of green onion hash browns.  The filet was then topped with a generous amount of lump crabmeat, several perfectly cooked asparagus spears, and a nice bernaise sauce.  I had anticipated taking half home for lunch the next day, but somehow the plate became empty, so that was not to be.

The only disappointment of the evening was their wine list.  I ordered a glass of Cabernet, which seemed to be the best of the limited offerings of wines by the glass.  It was ok, but certainly not on a par with the steak.

We're looking forward to a return visit when we're back at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment