Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Impromptu Dinner Date at Chef and the Farmer

I "forgot" to take something out to thaw for dinner, so at around four I decided we needed to go out to dinner.  Since we were going to Kinston around five, Chef and the Farmer seemed the right choice.

Reservations are generally necessary there, but as we arrived before six, we were able to get a nice table for two with a great view of the kitchen.  I ordered a dirty Bombay Sapphire martini, and David had a vodka martini with a twist to start the evening.  As we were enjoying our cocktails, I noticed that Chef Vivian Howard was present in the kitchen, and her husband Ben was in the front of the house.  This is unusual in our experience, and when I saw the camera perched on a tripod above the stove, I knew there was some filming being done.

Our server strongly suggested that we try some of the dishes featuring local squash, which is definitely in season this time of year.  I know that to be true, as I've been enjoying some fresh from my mother-in-law's garden this past week.  We decided to share a Small Plate, the Fried Squash Blossoms, squash and onions, zucchini pickles, smoked gouda, spicy tomato.  The squash blossoms are stuffed with a filling made of squash and caramelized onions which are simply cooked to death to be incredibly soft and sweet.  The stuffed blossom is then coated in a coarse-ground cornmeal and fried in what must be the hottest oil ever.  We could actually hear them being dropped into the fryer, the sizzling sound was so loud.  The fried blossoms are placed on a puddle of melted smoked Gouda cheese and garnished with delicious ripe tomatoes and very lightly pickled zucchini and squash slices.  Soooo delicious!

For his entree, David chose the Bourbon Braised Pork Shoulder Lasagna, sweet potato, country ham greens.  I tasted the greens first, and they were just the perfect combination of fatty, salty, country ham and delicious greens cooked until tender but not mushy.  The "lasagna" was wrapped in a pasta sheet, and the flavors of the tender pork shoulder and the sweet potato blended perfectly.  I was almost sorry I had ordered something else.

Until I tasted my Rice Crusted Catfish, blue crab, sweet corn, summer squash, jalapeño.  The fresh white catfish filet was coated with a light rice crust and fried so quickly that there was no trace of oil.  Nestled atop a bed of crabmeat, fresh corn, crisp-tender squash and slightly spicy jalapeño, the combination of flavors was spectacular.  With my catfish, I enjoyed a nicely chilled glass of Pinot Gris;  the perfect accompaniment. 

While we were eating we noticed more filming taking place, where it appeared that Chef Vivian was instructing one of the chefs in the proper preparation of a dish.  Later the camera crew followed as meals were served to a larger table, and the diners commented on their meals.  I'm not sure exactly what this filming will become, but it's clear that Chef and the Farmer, Vivian Howard, and her husband Ben Knight are aiming for the stars.

For dessert we shared the berry cobbler topped with basil ice cream.  Delicious!  How lucky are we to have such a fabulous restaurant here in the middle of nowhere?!



No comments:

Post a Comment