Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mahjong

May 17, 2014

Again I didn't make it to Tai Chi, enjoying early coffee on the veranda.  During breakfast most of our group decided to skip the planned excursion to the Viking sponsored primary school in favor of staying onboard and playing mahjong.

Five of us gathered in the library, with four playing and the fifth taking over for the winner each game.  As usual, David is the luckiest, and won more than anyone else.  After having played several games and not winning one, I decided David's position was the lucky one, so we changed places, where he proceeded to win again from my unlucky spot.  Still, I find losing at mahjong much less annoying than losing at poker (comment made for two readers who will understand exactly what I mean).  Finally I did win one game, so all was right with the world.

I'm not sure what we did after lunch, other than get ready for dinner.  We may have played more mahjong.  I stopped taking notes over a week ago, and unless I have pictures to jog my memory, it's just not there.

Tonight was the Captain's dinner, so we dressed up and headed on down to our table, only to find it filled with strangers.  WHAT?  On the last night of the cruise, when you're supposed to thank the waitstaff that's served you for the entire trip, others decided to sit at our table, so we're stuck at another table with completely unfamiliar staff.  At least we had Lois to serve our wine, but Eddie and Lucy were busy serving the interlopers.  We never did understand the reasoning behind what those people did, but we didn't let it ruin our last night.

For my entree tonight I chose the black cod, and it was probably the best meal I had on the entire trip.  The fish was perfectly cooked and sauced with a nice buerre blanc, and served with crisp-tender veggies.  Yummy!

Off for one last dance, before an early bedtime, as our suitcases have to be outside our door at 6:00 AM for disembarkation.




No comments:

Post a Comment